Wow ... my baby boy is six! It is so hard to believe that the time has flown by so fast. This morning he was so excited about his birthday, he jumped from bed at 5AM. Of course I made him lie back down until later. He didn't even get up that early on Christmas morning!
The only time we had together today as a family was this morning while getting ready for work/school. Rowdy found his birthday presents, plopped himself down on the bathroom floor, and had himself a little party ...
Dad took Rowdy and Petunia for donuts before school and I joined Rowdy for lunch/brunch (10:30 - what's that about??). While I sat with him and listened to him go on and on about how much he loved me coming to lunch with him, I was reminded of all we have to be thankful for with our little boy. I was taken back to my pregnancy and all the uncertainty there ...
We were stunned to find out that this little bundle was on his way. After trying for so long to have a baby, loosing that baby, and then having to have the help of an infertility specialist to conceive Petunia, Dad and I never thought we would be able to have another child without the help of modern medicine. (I guess this is a politically correct way to say that Rowdy was a COMPLETE SURPRISE!). This was only the beginning of us seeing that God certainly has a sense of humor!
During THE sonogram at 19 weeks, the fact that we were going to have a son was quickly overshadowed by the possibility that Rowdy had a birth defect of some kind. We found out that he had a two vessel umbilical cord ("normal" babies have 3) which can indicate a whole host of possible birth defects. We were scheduled for a Level II sonogram 2 weeks later. Need I mention that it was a VERY LONG two weeks?
During the mega sonogram, Dr. I-Have-The-Bedside-Manners-Of-A-Brick-Wall, ruled out all possible birth defects except for Down's Syndrome. She told us that the only way to know for sure would be to have an amnio done but given my history of pre-term labor, she would only recommend it if we were to terminate the pregnancy. WHAT?!? No, thanks...that is not an option for us. So off we go to wonder for the next 15 weeks if our child has Down's Syndrome.
At 35 weeks Rowdy decided that he was ready to make his entrance into the world. I guess he was getting a little crowded inside Mom's tummy. I spent the next 6 days in the hospital on complete bedrest, doped up with all sorts of meds to keep labor at bay, until it was safe for our boy to be delivered.
6 years ago today, at 4:02 p.m., Rowdy joined our family at a whopping 7 pounds 7 ounces and perfectly healthy! As you can see from all my other posts, minus a few behavioral issues that drive me NUTS, he is a perfectly, healthy, happy little boy.
My little one has the best personality. He loves to laugh and to make others laugh. He loves to build and destroy anything he can get his hands on. He is so smart we are amazed at times.
Here are a few of my favorite pictures from the past few years. I think they will show you exactly what our little one's personality is really like ...







2 comments:
Ok, are the wig pictures starting to worry you? Just kiddding...I love to look back at the pictures...I love that picture of Josh in the water bucket. It's so cute...I miss that chubby little baby!
Wow- six years old! I can hardly believe that! I remember that picture of the two of them from church....we miss y'all!!
Happy Birthday Rowdy!!
Post a Comment