Saturday, July 4, 2009

We hold these truths to be self-evident

Life has been CRAZY since we got back from vacation. This post has been sitting waiting to be finished for a while now. Although it isn't the way I'd want, I figured I better get something out into blog land before you guys think I have fallen off the face of the earth! More to come later ...

We have spent the past week on our yearly pilgrimage to the mountains of Colorado. We spend the week of the 4th of July each year up here with family. It is always the highlight of our summer. One of our favorite things that is a "must" on the agenda is the yearly parade in Cuchara.

I have never been to a parade that is anything like this one that is put one each year ... this being the 43rd annual! It is the epitome of small town USA and all that our fore-father's fought for ...

When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

~Preamble to the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776

A few of my favorite shots from the morning ...











No comments: