Friday, March 14, 2008

The last dance ...

Last weekend was Petunia's last Daddy/Daughter Dance with the Adventure Princess group. Dad has been trying to mentally prepare himself for this night since the very first one they attended together in 2005. During that first dance, Dad realized that when the girls get into the 3rd grade, the whole night is dedicated to them. (This is because the Adventure Princess/Guide program is for kindergarten through 3rd grade.) There apparently is a big presentation of each individual girl and the father gets down on one knee, gives a speech about what their time in Adventure Princesses has meant to him, and then presents the daughter with a rose. It sounds very sweet to me. Dad has been on edge for 4 years because he was pretty certain he couldn't get through a speech like that without crying. (If you know Dad, you know he DOES NOT cry!)
I think he did OK ...

The evening always starts off with a little pampering of the princess. This year Petunia and I spent some time doing our own version of a french manicure and pedicure. I did a much better job on hers than I can ever do on myself but I think I still need to leave this to the experts.

After the nails were done we spent some time drying and straightening her hair. Once the hair was just so, on went the dress and shoes. I think this is the part that Petunia dislikes the most. Once these are on she knows that I'm going to want to have a photo shoot ...


OK, the fun is over mom ...

Oh, mom ... can you take my picture on the table. Yes, I'll cross my ankles so I'll look like a proper lady ...

It immediately went from the above to this ...

Dad, are you ready? Yes, I know you are late but we must have a photo of you two together before you leave.

Petunia, act like you are putting the flower on Dad.
Oh MOM!!!!Very nice ...

And now for a few scenes from the actual dance itself ...

We all love Coach "Hey Get Your Groove On". She always makes everything so much fun! Here they are all singing a little Hannah Montana!
Oh my gosh - this is so much fun!!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

It looks like so much fun! The funny thing is seeing that last picture with all the girls and then the borning dads all lined up in the background. I'm sure this was bittersweet for B and H.