Saturday, June 21, 2008

Spark Ministry Rocks!

My sweet "big sis" from my college days (Hey Jodi!!) invited me to be her guest blogger for the month of May. I was so excited ... but so nervous! I wanted my post to be just perfect. The topic I was going to write on was my biggest "fear". Jodi suggested I blog about something that I was passionate about. Immediately, I knew Spark Ministry and my experience with Spark was it! I have been hounded for months to post something about the mission trips I have recently been on. It has taken me literally six months to some what wrap my head around those. So, here is what I wrote for my guest blogging gig ...


My whole life I have been told it is better to give than to receive. Usually this was something that was said around Christmas time, when I wasn’t going to receive THE gift I so desperately wanted. My parents would say in that singsong tone “You know it is more blessed to give than receive.” As a youngster, that is certainly the last thing I wanted to hear and certainly didn’t see how it could be. As I have grown older, I have seen glimpses that this is indeed true.


In November 2007, and again in April of this year, I saw first hand how very true this statement is. At those times, I learned that the more you give, the more you sacrifice of yourself, and the more you are blessed in turn. In November of 2007 I went on my first mission trip. I have grown up in a religion that “pushes” missions. You would think with all the Sunday school lessons and sermons I have heard in my lifetime, at some point prior to the age of 35 I would have gone on a mission trip. Nope … not the case. Enter Spark Ministry.Spark Ministry is headed up by the most fabulous lady, Molly Breitenfeld.

Molly has a real heart for women who are down on their luck, so to speak. Molly leads short-term mission trips in which “our group” will put on an entire weekend retreat for “their group”. In November 2007, “their group” was the Bowery Woman’s Center in Manhattan. I distinguish the two groups this way only so you can keep it straight in your head. The truth is we are all one group – sisters in Christ.So, what is it that Spark does? The mission of SPARK MINISTRY is to offer Christian women an opportunity to minister to the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of women who are in difficult life situations through short-term mission trips and retreats. On my trip to Manhattan, this is exactly was a group of 39 different women, from 13 different churches, did.


Our mission was to minister to the women at the Bowery Women’s Center. The Bowery is a faith-based shelter different than any I have ever heard of. This structured 9-15 month program respects each woman’s dignity and is built around three elements of life-transformation: spiritual grounding, economic empowerment, and emotional equipping. The beautiful five-story brownstone located in the upper east side of Manhattan can house up to 17 women in their program. We spent a weekend pampering, loving, laughing, and learning with these women. Our main purpose was to provide a weekend retreat (you know the kind you have probably attended at your own church – music, games, crafts, and good bible teaching).Without writing a novel the size of War and Peace I can never accurately account for what transpired while I was away on my mission trips. In New York, we meshed with about 20 women who live and/or work at the Bowery Women’s Center. Within no time, Molly had each of us acting like fools – laughing so hard we cried …
Our first night with the women was spent getting to know them and letting them get to know us a little better. We did a craft together (jewelry making led by the wonderful Pam Hatchard of Faith Jewelry) and then joined together for our first session of bible teaching. After a wonderful dinner, prepared by a group of the Texas ladies, we assembled back upstairs for an evening of pee-in-your-pants entertainment.The entertainment for the evening was dubbed “American Reality Uncensored”. Sad, sad, sad is what it was. For all its sad talent, it was hilarious. Each of the acts was made up of a few Texas ladies showing their rare talents … this is when I discovered my alter ego – J Go. J Go is a Righteous Rapper.Her line in the rap …

Don’t you look with your own eyes

When you think you failed the test

‘cuz when God looks at you

He sees nuttin but the best.

It don’t matter if your still

It don’t matter if you’re fidgety

‘Cuz girl, when God looks at you

He sees the Bomb Diggity!


Day two was made up of a fabulous southern brunch, more bible teaching, more crafts, and more fun. The best part of day two is we take the other ladies out for a night on the town. This is a time for them to feel special, pampered … almost normal again. We all loaded on the subway and headed across town for a dinner cruise on the Hudson River. Oh, how amazing! The ship sailed at 4:30 so we were on the Hudson at sunset. It was absolutely breathtaking.



Of course with close to 75 women wearing matching shirts, we took over the ship. It was a blast!

The following morning, we joined together to worship at Times Square Church. If you are ever in New York on a Sunday morning, you MUST go! It has to be the closest place to heaven while still on earth. I was so amazed as I looked around as every different nationality and socio-economic group was represented, all worshipping the same God. That must be what heaven will be like!

Following church and a fabulous lunch, we joined back together for a very special prayer service. Each of the New York ladies was presented with a final parting gift, a new coat. Next came the presentation of the prayer shawls. Each lady was wrapped with a beautiful red scarf, hand knitted by women here in Texas. Time was spent as we went around the circle praying specifically over and for our new friends. Upon completion, it was time for us to say our goodbyes. Oh, how very difficult it was!



Each of the Spark trips consist of roughly this same schedule. In April, I was privileged to again go and minister to a group of ladies who have fallen on hard times. Six wonderful days were spent in and around Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Can you believe there are homeless people in the middle of Amish Country????


I learned first hand that the truth is, we are all one group – sisters in Christ. Even though the ladies at the Bowery and the Lydia Center in Pennsylvania were in these facilities due to drug addiction, prostitution, or trouble with the law, it was so easy to relate with them. I might not know what it is like to be addicted to cocaine, but I know first hand how difficult it is to let go of my addictions to food and Coca-Cola. I might have never been beaten or abused, but I know what it is like to not feel any self-worth.If you would be interested in experiencing first hand what it is like to touch the life of someone who is hurting, I challenge you to attend a mission trip with Spark Ministry.


The next trip for Spark is this coming week (June 26-30) in Reno, NV. Please pray that God's will will be done during this time. Satan has thrown up many road blocks that are having to be overcome (as he does with each of Spark's trips). I'm hoping to return to the Bowery in the Fall (October 23-27). Anyone want to join me? I promise you will not come home the same person.

2 comments:

Within Connolly's Kingdom said...

I am so proud of who you are - and who you are constantly evolving to become - and who you have always BEEN - and 1 Peter 3:15 - 2 Corinthians 9:7 - James 1:22! :)
You rock! :)

Beth McC. said...

What an AMAZING post! Thanks for sharing and your pictures are great!