Monday, July 7, 2008

Until we meet again

June 27, 2008 - Our beloved Nanny finally gave up and went home to be with our Lord. Exactly nine weeks earlier, she had fallen and broken her hip. She never returned home. 34 days in the hospital and the remainder at a "rehabilitation" nursing home is where she spent the last few weeks of her life. Fortunately, those were the only nine weeks of her 90 years that she was "sick". Unfortunately, we all took for granted her good health.


After her surgery to repair her hip, her dementia became increasingly worse. Over the course of those nine weeks, I visited with my Nanny three times. Each time I was always thankful that she never forgot who I was. She couldn't remember what I did for a living (she always asked if I was still teaching) but she always acknowledged me as her granddaughter. For that I am thankful.


My Nanny was one tough broad. She was a true fighter. She gave the nurses (and my parents!) fits each day as she would try to get up and leave the hospital. Once she reached the nursing home, a special bed had to be brought in so that she wouldn't "escape"! Unfortunately, she contracted VRE (some infection with a long name I can't pronounce, let alone spell) which ultimately took her life.


The Wednesday before she passed away, we were told that she wouldn't make it through the night. We all braced ourselves. Thursday morning she was still with us. I sent a message to her via my mother telling her goodbye. Thursday night she was still with us. The Hospice nurse was amazed. Friday morning she was still with us. (See, I told you she was one tough lady!) Friday afternoon she was starting to give in. At 5:30, my dad put me on speaker phone and I was able to tell her good bye myself. I told her that I loved her and needed her to go on to Heaven. I needed her to go and take care of my baby that was up there until I could get there. I promised her I would see her real soon. Even though she couldn't speak, my dad told me that he could see her eyebrows raise and she tried to speak. I have been told (only about a zillion times over the last few days) that this is when she gave in and began her final hours. She finally let go for good at 9:30 p.m.


The only thing my Nanny loved more than being a mother, was being a grandmother. The only thing my Nanny loved more than being a grandmother, was being a great-grandmother. Each role she was great at. My favorite pastor once said that the more we love, the more we grieve. Well, there is a whole lot of grieving going on. My Nanny was very loved.

August 30, 1917 - June 27, 2008
Of these two dates, the dash is all that matters.

No comments: