Friday, April 10, 2009

Let the races begin!

Warning ... I am not (I repeat NOT) a NASCAR fan. What little I know, I have learned in just the last few months. I have no desire to know any more. I get horribly frightened when I can carry on a logical NASCAR conversation with my brother. That is the disclaimer for this next post. For all you "true" NASCAR fans, please forgive my uneducated lingo regarding certain things.

Sunday morning started bright and early for Dad and Rowdy. They left the house to head to the race track at 5 am (which meant the alarm went off MUCH earlier!!!) The whole point to leaving that early was to miss all the traffic getting into the area of the race track. So, what do you do when you get to the race track 2 hours before you can even get in? Why, sleep of course!

Rowdy was so pumped that he couldn't sleep. While Dad snoozed, Rowdy took hold of the camera ...
Rowdy figured out how to zoom in on a "blemish" on Dad's face. He was so proud of himself!

I must say, I think I have taught my son how to take those "important" pictures. He took this one of the sign! Maybe I can get him to take over my scrapbooking??!!!

The VIP treatment started at 8am when Dad and Rowdy were able to enter the Interstate Battery Hospitality tent. Armed with a bag FULL of goodies, the boys set out for the big prize in Rowdy's eyes ... meeting Kyle Busch! While they waited, Rowdy posed with a few "old" race cars ...
My son is so observant ... he pointed out to Dad that these cars don't have "real" headlights. They are stickers. Who knew??


The lovely green hat that Rowdy is sporting was one of the freebies in his goody bag. He had it signed by Joe Gibbs, the entire Pit Crew and ...

His hero ... Kyle Busch. Rowdy even got to talk to Kyle. I was impressed. When asked what he said to him, Rowdy answered "Thanks". Oh, I'm sure that made an impact :)

After a full lunch, in which Rowdy apparently stuffed himself, my boys headed to their seats. Dad rented one of those du-hickies that lets you hear what is going on inside of the car. Armed with a set of binoculars and the du-hickies, Rowdy was so excited! Thank goodness he took a little nap during some of Kyle's more "colorful" conversations!
Dad said that the start of the race was amazing and that Rowdy was shaking (with excited and from the noise!).

I must give out major, MAJOR, props to Dad for his willingness to record this event for me! Usually when I ask him to take the camera to some event, he comes home with one (yes, O-N-E) photo. He dun goooooddd this time!!!

No comments: