Friday, January 19, 2007

Winter Weather - Texas Style

Friday, January 11, 2007 – Been home with Petunia today. She was sick this morning and I was the lucky one to stay home with her for the morning shift. Dad came and took over the afternoon shift while I went to work for a few hours. Boy it is cold. Can’t believe it is sooo cold. Sure can’t remember the last time it was this cold. 34 degrees sure is cold!!! There are threats of ice tonight. Better call the parents and tell them that they shouldn’t come to the city for Petunia’s basketball game tomorrow. Roads could be bad between here and there. Parents agree and we reschedule for next Saturday. Parents are happy because game is much later next week. Parents will bring Rowdy his birthday present with them next week when they come.

It’s raining again. It has been raining all day. I better get to the store before it gets bad. It might be freezing tomorrow. No milk in the house would make for a cranky family.

Well, I braved the rain and cold and made it back from the store with plenty of items to make taco soup and chili. Mmmmmm … should be a good weekend to eat both. Wonder if I should cancel Rowdy’s birthday party which is scheduled for Sunday. Dad says I’m a typical Texan – a little rain and cold weather and the world shuts down. What does he know??? I guess we’ll make the official call tomorrow sometime. For now, we all snuggle in and watch a movie and eat pizza.

Saturday, January 12, 2007 – Phone rings at 7:40 am. Church has cancelled all basketball games due to threat of bad weather and rain. Looks like the gym has a leak – not good. Petunia disappointed but bounces back quickly. Plenty of time spent today with the family. Rowdy is first to get dressed - 10:30am.

Noonish – Petunia and Rowdy are complaining that they are bored. Life is good! I feel like I have succeed in keeping things simple when they are bored. Sounds like weather is only going to get worse. It sure is cold. 33 degrees – brrrrrrr. Better cancel Rowdy’s party. Hope he understands. “Camping” with 6 little 5 year olds in the ice would not be fun. Call all the parents. We will reschedule for next Sunday. Looks like it will be 50ish then. Much better! Rowdy takes it well.

Dogs are loving being inside all day. Petunia has been really good about keeping up with Scout. I can’t believe I’m letting that dog on the couch. Oh well, all are happy.

Dad and Petunia get dressed 6:00pm when they decide to head to Blockbuster for movies. I’m still in my jammies. Decide to whip up a batch of Taco Soup while they are gone. Oh no … Dad calls at 6:45 and car won’t start. Darn … I have to get dressed. Off I go.

Get to Blockbuster and car has miraculously started. Figures. Oh well, while I’m out, I decide to stop by Walgreens and pick up a newspaper to get tomorrow’s coupons. Should be a good night to cut coupons.

Back home; back in jammies. Soup sure is good. Maybe the kids will go to sleep soon.

Sunday, January 14, 2007 – Hit snooze too many times to make it to church on time. Dad doesn’t feel well. He stays in bed. Really thought weather would keep us in today. Looks like it is just cold again – 33 degrees. Petunia, Rowdy and I decide to brave the rain and cold and make it to church by 9:30 am. Hope the roads aren’t iced over when we are ready to head home.

Nope, road seems OK. Threat of bad weather seems to have kept MANY people in today. Better get home and get lunch in these empty tummies before the roads do get bad.

Petunia has a birthday party to go to in the neighborhood. I get out on the wet roads and take her. Run to the store again – forgot cereal. Store is not crowded at all. It’s still cold. Seems to be hovering between 32 and 33 degrees. Maybe tonight is the night it will get bad.

Monday, January 15, 2007 – Well we awoke to reports of a winter storm advisory and the treat of ice throughout the day. Rain had fallen the night before so sure enough, it was rather slick outside. Rowdy’s birthday is today. He is more excited about turning 5 than the ice. Doesn’t take long before both kids are out to see the winter wonderland. Rowdy is enthralled with the dogs water bucket which is frozen solid. Boy ... look at all that sleet.

Friend calls and asks to meet up with us for lunch at McDonalds. We welcome the time out of the house. Hope I can make the ½ mile to McDs. Roads are slick but we’ll make it OK. Anything to get out of the house for a little while.

Rain continues on and off throughout the day. Trash pick up has been rescheduled a day because trucks can’t make it out on the roads. It is cold! Even colder today. The high is 28 today. Boy it is cold.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 – Cold again today (34) but roads are looking fine. Looks like the worst of it has gone. We should be good from now on. It may even be a little warmer today. They say we will get to 39!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 – WHAT???? Where did this come from? Got a call at 6:50 from automated system saying school is cancelled because of weather. Apparently it decided to sleet last night. News is not looking good. All areas schools are closed today. That is, all except for Dallas ISD. What are they thinking??? Courthouse says they will open at 10am. Guess I’ll be working today. Bummer ….

Call parents. Two hours away, it is 34 and raining. Schools there are cancelled. Remember – Dallas ISD open. Go figure.

Looks like I’m taking the kids to work with me. I’ll wait until later to make my 2 mile trek in. Roads are probably horrible.

11:30am – Trapes into the office. Roads are a little slick but will be OK. Just go slow and stay away from the Texas maniac drivers and all is well.

Thursday, January 18, 2007 – Weather is cold again today. Guess what? It even rained again today. Oops … looks like more ice is on the way this weekend. Better call parents and see about rescheduling the reschedule. Man … when will this all end?? The weather here is TERRIBLE. I sure hope it warms up soon.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

It is great to hear what y'all are up to! I am so happy for y'all/Hope! She is SAVED! That is so AWESOME!