Thursday, September 20, 2007

A totally feel-good email ...

Here is an excerpt from an email I had with Rowdy's teacher just yesterday ...
From Mom - Onto my friend, Rowdy - how is he doing in class? Does he have good days and bad days? Is he talking too much? Is he paying attention? Is he being respectful? Oh so many questions and concerns. I'm hoping that since I haven't heard anything, that is a good sign but want to keep the communication open between us. He seems to do much better when he knows that he is held accountable at every turn he makes, whether at home, school or church. Poor guy, DR is his Sunday School teacher so he doesn't even have a prayer at church to get away with much.
From Mrs. H - Rowdy is doing so well! He has had only good days. No, he is not talking any more than anyone else is. (It's still only the fourth week of school, and this IS kindergarten, so we're all still working on when it's our turn to talk!) Yes, he is paying attention. And, yes, he is absolutely being respectful. You're right; if you hear nothing, but Rowdy is receiving stamps in his folder, that's a good sign.There was a moment during the second week of school, I believe, that he and three other boys were not being especially mean, but they were chanting "Take out (boy's name)" while they were in Legos. I won't let any of them be mean to their classmates, so those boys and I had a "come to Jesus meeting" right then. Rowdy was just crying and crying because he thought he was going to get a note home. I, of course, gave them all a second chance since they're still learning my expectations. Rowdy just begged me not to send a note home, so I instructed him not to choose that behavior again and he wouldn't get a note home. The bottom line was that he would be deciding whether or not the note went home based on his actions. All of the boys have been just peachy since then, and they haven't made that naughty choice again. Between DR on Sundays and me the rest of the week, Rowdy will surely learn accountability! Rowdy is happy all of the time. He follows directions most of the time. I put him on the back row when we're on the floor doing our whole group work. That way he can move around in his kinestic way, but he won't bother anyone. We also do a lot of body movements, so he gets that element of learning that his style requires.
Oh my goodness ... Looks like we are FINALLY getting somewhere with this kid! I'm thrilled beyond belief - out of my mind thrilled actually. I'm seriously debating whether or not to frame this email. Better yet ... maybe it can be our Christmas card this year ...

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

How AWESOME that his teacher is a Christian!
Glad to hear he is doing so well.

Erin said...

I am so glad that you commented on my blog! I have been wondering how you are doing and it is so wonderful to see new pictures of your kiddos. They are so precious and getting so big. Sigh.....doesn't time just fly? It seems like yesterday that I was visiting you in the hospital waiting for you to give birth to Petunia. Much love! E

Within Connolly's Kingdom said...

I miss you - is life keeping you busy? You must post soon! :)