My baby has finally reached that milestone that I have long dreaded...3rd grade TAKS test. There are no words to accurately describe my feelings towards this test. Loathe, dread, fear, anxiety, loathe ... you get the picture.
Petunia's year in second grade was a constant struggle. I had a feeling we were in trouble at the end of the first nine weeks parent-teacher conference last year. At that meeting I felt like all the teacher was discussing was Petunia's ability to take a test. All she was focusing on was what "strategies" Petunia didn't seem to be grasping. I left that meeting feeling like I was about to run a marathon and let me tell you, at the end of the school year, I felt like I had! Poor Petunia had after school tutoring in Math and Reading every 9 weeks after that. I felt like Petunia's whole 2nd grade year revolved around how to take the TAKS test. I felt no "true education" was accomplished. I had worked myself into such a tizzy that I started seriously looking into homeschool programs. I signed up for different Yahoo Groups, did a ton of research, ordered informational DVDs ... you get the picture.
I was going to give this public school thing one more year. Depending on how she did on the TAKS would determine if I would quit my job and teach my child myself. I used last summer as a "test" for this homeschool thing. We "did" math a few afternoons a week when I would get home from work. Petunia had math worksheets I left her to do during the day. She did several "research" projects and wrote us reports. Can I interest you in a power point presentation on Pappillions and why Petunia believes she must have one?
Fast forward 9 months ...
In late February Petunia asked Dad and I if Mrs. T, her 3rd grade teacher, had told us that she was in danger of failing the 3rd grade. We were shocked and stunned. Where in the world had that come from? She has done fabulously well in school this year. She is mastering everything quickly and truly doesn't seem to be struggling with anything. Apparently some of the kids in her class (those punks who have older siblings!!) had said that if you failed the TAKS test, you would fail 3rd grade. She had convinced herself that she might not pass the TAKS because she wasn't smart. She knew her friend Little Ripper would pass because Little Ripper is smart. Great ...
We spent several weeks building her self-confidence and talking up the test. Somewhere along the way, her outlook on the test changed. The night before the test, she said she was actually excited about taking the test! Praise God! So maybe her excitement for the test wasn't what I would have wanted. She thought it was the coolest thing ever that she could stay at school and keep working on her test until 5:30 if that is what it took. Hey, whatever gets her excited works for me!
So, here we are with our first set of official TAKS scores ... She only missed 2 out of 36!!! This earned her a Commended Performance notation. Can you hear me singing and feel the ground shaking from my glee dance????
So, it looks like the good Lord has answered another of our prayers and I will not be homeschooling next year. Truth be told ... I am far to "flighty" to keep a structured routine to homeschool. I have friends who do it and I admire them greatly. There is a reason why I am a paralegal and not a teacher. Teaching may be in my blood (having both parents who have earned their Master's degrees in education and taught school for 30 some odd years) but I certainly didn't get that gene!
All that said - Petunia, we are so very proud of you!!! Your hard work and dedication paid off! Way to go!!!




4 comments:
Good job H-y can you hear me saying her real name! We love you!
Aunt J, Uncle J, L...dree
Amen, Amen, Amen, AMEN! I shall show the hubby your post and he will say even more Amens! I can't tell you how many times I've heard the same thing! I had to sign one of mine up for Yoga just to get her some relaxation techniques! I HATE TAKS. I LOATHE TAKS. The oldest two (who have had the pleasure of experiencing TAKS) inherited their dad's wonderful test-taking stress levels. They don't "test" well. I'm hoping the other two inherit mom's love of test-taking to even out our stress levels. Seriously, I always loved testing days. I loved completing all those little bubbles and getting them all right. I just didn't like being told every year when the results came back that I wasn't "working up to my potential"... Yeah, I know.
Oh - I have SUCH test anxiety MYSELF - that I really really understand all of this - when I taught third grade it was just painful for me to watch the kids slowly meltdown (I had the GT kiddos and their issue was NOT getting a 100.) Sounds NUTS - but the pressure from THEIR parents was I-N-S-A-N-E. In Nevada - there is the same type of test - but NO hype or nutty pressure...amazing the difference, really...But - we are not here for the duration - so expect a phone call for some guidance - for me, being a mommy in it is a lot different than a teacher... :)
Way to go H!
I know you are so relieved!
Post a Comment