Thursday, July 24, 2008

Southern Comfort

Growing up in the south, Lord knows I have partaken of my fair share of Chicken Fried Steak. Until tonight, I have never been brave enough to try and make any on my own ...
I'm quite proud of myself. I even made gravy from the "drippings" ... and it wasn't lumpy!

The whole reason why I decided to make this tonight was because Dad had to work late. Primo time for me to make a huge mess in the kitchen (I had plenty of time to clean up!). Guess what? I made virtually no mess at all!

I called Dad to let him know that dinner was in the refrigerator:

Mom: I wanted to let you know that there is chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, and gravy in the refrigerator for you when you come home.

Dad: Where did you get that? (This was spoken in his oh so familiar "You have exceeded your eating out budget, your grocery budget and I know for a fact you have used all your cash for this week, why in the WORLD did you blow our budget to go and get chicken fried steak????)

Mom: I made it.

Dad: You did? How?

Mom: From scratch. With the meat our friends gave us last week from the cow they have in their freezer ...

Dad: Wow. Thanks. (In that tone that says he is impressed ...)

I think Dad was just as surprised as I was. I might just see if I can do it again sometime ...

PS - Don't you love the quality of the picture???? My replacement camera finally came today. I was so excited until I realized that it is a refurbished model. That is NOT going to cut it for me. I've got Dad the bulldog on it. I should be getting a new one soon. Until then, we will enjoy the wonderful photos of much better quality than my blackberry ...

3 comments:

Within Connolly's Kingdom said...

I JUST made cfsteak two nights ago for MY family - same thing with "Drippings" gravy and mashed potatoes - we had steamed broccoli too. The kids do not like this meal - I did not like it either when my mother made it OFTEN. However, Steve DOES like it - and it is EASY...my pieces looked like your top right photo. :) Power to the chef you meat cookin' mama... :)

Kimberly said...

Hi!!
I am back in the blogging world!
So glad to be catching up with everyone!
Looks like y'all are doing well and enjoying your summer!
Love the pic of Rowdy in his underpants!!!

CSL said...

I am SO proud of you. What a huge accomplishment! I'm impressed. I must admit, though I can make fried chicken, the splattering mess frightens me away so I just won't brave it! AH!

Hope y'all are having a great summer. We miss you!