Friday, February 20, 2009

How Do I Love Thee?

Have you seen Fireproof? If not, you really must RUN down to the local video store and get it ... NOW!

We were thrilled to hear that another movie was coming out by the makers of Facing the Giants. We made it a point to take the family to see the movie the weekend it hit theatres. As suspected, it did not disappoint. Anyway, the movie revolves around The Love Dare, a journal of how to love your spouse. Dad commented on how he would really like to get the book. I vowed that I would not buy it. If he wanted this book, and wanted to "do" the book, it was not going to be because I bought it, placed it in his office lit with a neon flashing light ... (Do you know how difficult it was for me NOT to do this?????)


Fast forward several months ... I got a notice on Facebook that Family Life would be sending out emails each day that correlated with The Love Dare starting in early January. I immediately signed up. What I didn't know was that Dad's accountability group had decided to do The Love Dare at the same time. It only took about two days for us to figure out we were both "doing" The Love Dare. Initially, it was a little odd but very soon it turned into a game of who could do their "dare" first each day.

Enter Dad's new job. One of the many things his company promotes is family and marriage "enrichment" type things. Each year Family Life comes to the Dallas area and does a marriage conference called A Weekend to Remember. Dad and I have been several times over the years but haven't been in quite some time (thanks to lack of finances and commitments with the kids). This year Dad's company offered to pay 1/2 of the conference fee AND 1/2 of the hotel stay. (I don't think I have told you lately how much I heart this company!!!) When Dad emailed and asked what I thought about going, it was a no brainer - LET'S GO!!!

The conference was held over Valentine's Weekend which happened to coincide with the last day of The Love Dare. How appropriate! Dad and I had just spent 40 days focusing on each other (as opposed to ourselves) and were able to focus an entire weekend to US!

A Weekend to Remember was held at the Gaylord Texan Resort in Grapevine. We have heard about this amazing resort but had never been. Boy were we in for a treat (and lucky you - I drug my camera around ALL weekend!).
Here is proof that we do everything bigger and better in Texas ...

Can you believe this is INSIDE????
Dad working on his "homework" ...
These next few pics are for my sister-in-law ... She went to see the Ice show this past Christmas and had commented that she would love to stay at this hotel sometime. I took these pictures of our room to show her ...


So, enough of the hotel ... Let's take a look at some of the "famous" people we met during the weekend.
Dad and I were standing in line for check in and three couples behind us was this guy ...
In case you don't know, this is Greg Fields, a local weatherman. I know this is sooo sad, but I was so very excited to get to meet him. Good grief! It is like he is part of the family ... he is with us each weekday morning as we get ready for work. I have watched him almost every morning since before Petunia was born!

Next, we had the privilege of attending the one and only Family Life Conference that Dennis Rainey (yes, THE Dennis Rainey - founder of Family Life, author of a gazillion books!) is speaking at this year. I had the opportunity to chat with him while waiting in the buffet line at dinner Saturday night.
Did you know that Dennis and Barbara Rainey don't draw a salary through Family Life? They also do get one penny of income from the gazillion books they have written. Every penny of the money made on the books they have written goes right back into Family Life. In the last 34 years, they have put over $2.5 million back into Family Life thanks to the sales of their books! What an amazing thing God has done through this man! The conference was amazing. There were over 4200 couples in attendance (the largest of any of the conferences they have ever had!) Of those, 400 were engaged couples (Dad and I attended our first conference as an engaged couple. Grandma and Papa sent us. It is hard to believe that was 15 years ago!) 300 were preachers and their wives (who are given the chance to attend the conference for FREE), another couple hundred service men and woman AND about 400 men and women who have lost their jobs within the past six months. Family Life paid the way for each of these couples to attend this seminar free of charge. They (Family Life) believe that when the financial structure of a family is hit, the first thing to crumble is the marriage. They are committed to doing everything possible to encourage and strengthen the marriage covenant. How cool is that!
I have to say the highlight of the weekend came Sunday afternoon. Remember, Dad and I have been to several of these (this was our 4th time to attend) so we thought we knew how everything was done during the conference. Imagine our surprise when we were told we would be renewing our wedding vows! Wow .... I was totally taken aback. It was the sweetest moment of the entire weekend (and believe me, there were several!) There wasn't a dry eye in the room. I can hardly wait to go again!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

So cool! I totally want to stay there now! I am so glad ya'll had a great weekend!

Amy said...

Jennifer, Love your blog! You are so cute and spunky! Sounds like you had an amazing opportunity, I loved the movie facing the giants, totally applies to so many things we believe. Can't want to try the love dare. Amy (a cousin ;))

CSL said...

Your blog made me teary-eyed. What a wonderful get-away and a way to celebrate your marriage! :-) Thank you for sharing!

And "Fireproof" is terrific. Even my kids enjoyed it. The girls asked to see it again last weekend! Did you know that Kurt Cameron told the filming crew that he would make the movie but he would not kiss anyone but his wife, so the last scene is a distant shot of him and his real wife (not movie wife) kissing! Very cool!