Friday night was the annual Winter Dance at the kids’ school. It is something that is sponsored by the PTA and for the kids is a great time. For an adult, it is like having bamboo stuck up under your fingernails. Anyway…
This year is Petunia’s “last” year in elementary school. As if that isn’t traumatic enough for her overprotective, hyper sensitive, mother, several of her friends decided that they would get “dressed up” for the dance. My sweet princess looked super sweet for her night …
Oh my sweet girl. My first born. The one I cried so many tears for because I wanted her so desperately.
As we pulled into the parking lot at school Friday night, she looked at me and in all seriousness said “Mom, just so we are clear, I don’t know you in there”.
Oh, yes she did.
After picking up my heart off the floor mat, I replied “Well, just so we are clear, you have just upped the ante. I will embarrass you now like there is no tomorrow.”
Such love this mother has for her spawn …
After she had grown fairly comfortable with the thought that maybe, just maybe, I would leave her alone, I sought her out …
With two of her teachers and some friends …
And here is where it got good :) I started dancing around with her and her friends. Well, really it was just her friends because she high-tailed it away pretty quick. Oh, but I was hot on her tail!
“Mom, please! Peace out, dude!!”
“Dad, please! Get her to leave me alone!!”
“Sorry honey. It’s hopeless.”
Sweet mercy came when this friend told my Petunia …
“My mom would never dance around like that. Your mom is so much fun”.
YES!!! Have mercy!!!
I do believe my sweet girl has learned her lesson. Later that night, I did promise her I would chill a little when she got into middle school. And I will. But, until then …..




2 comments:
Oh, YEAH!!!
That's too funny, I so would have been there right with you!!
Post a Comment