Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Thank you Home Warranty!

When we moved into this home 5 years ago, one of the smartest moves we made was by taking advantage of the home warranty that was offered. The second smartest thing we have done is by keeping it up each year thereafter. Thanks to our home warranty, we have had numerous items in our home repaired (or replaced) for a fraction of the cost it would cost if we did them ourselves. Usually we only have to pay a $55 service fee and it is taken care of from there. Among our list of "inexpensive" fixes has been service on our dryer (several times!), a new garbage disposal, the fan in the oven has been replaced, a tank on a toilet has been replaced, oh, the list can go on and on!


I have been holding our for a new dishwasher. I absolutely HATED the one we had. It was loud, didnt' do a good job of getting the dishes clean and it was loud. Oh, I said that already? Well, it WAS LOUD!! A few months ago I realized that our dishwasher was leaking water under the cabinet next to it which warranted another call to our friends at the home warranty place.


Now, the bad thing about the home warranty people is that they don't get in too big of a hurry to do much of anything. It usually takes about a week to get someone out to fix something. The dishwasher was another issue entirely.


Guy 1 came out and looked at it; told me the pump had gone out and needed to be replaced. I asked if we could get a new dishwasher and he said he would see what he could do. He'd contact the main guys and see if the part cost vs. replacement would warrant a new dishwasher. He said he would call me the next day to let me know. Three days later, after never hearing from him, Dad called. The guys voicemail was full. Uh-oh. After contacting the main peeps again (who had to try 3 different times to get Guy 1) Guy 1 was scheduled to come and repair the dishwasher. I was disappointed that I wasn't getting a new one but I had adjusted to that disappointment and was just ready to get it fixed. Guy 1 never showed.


Enter Guy 2. He was a great guy from Sears Repair. Nice guy he was. I think he is my new best friend. I told him my story and he said he would see what he could do to get me a new dishwasher. He punched in numbers to his nifty handheld computer; called the main company; rattled of a list of items that needed to be "fixed" on the computer (the machine was almost 13 year old so many items where just "worn" out). Waa laa! Wish granted!


The thing with the home warranty company is that if they replace something, it will be replaced with an appliance comparable to what you have. They sent us a website link that showed us what we were eligible for. Although I'm sure it was quite nice, it certainly wasn't at all what I wanted. OK, so that translates into "it doesn't go with how I want to redo the kitchen and why should we get this dishwasher when we would be replacing it in the 'near' future with what I want". So next waaa laaa ... they sent us a check for the price of what they were willing to pay for the dishwasher plus what they would pay for installation. Oh, happy day!!


Last month, Dad and I trotted down to Lowe's and I perused to my hearts content. I looked. I examined. I pulled. I pried. I opened. I shut. I questioned. I questioned some more. When I asked Dad what he thought, he replied with the most precious words I have ever heard "I don't care. It's a dishwasher. Get whatever you want". Oh, happy day!


Yesterday, this beauty was FINALLY installed ...

No, it doesn't match any other appliance in my kitchen but with a little "wishful" thinking it will. Someday.


I ran this beauty last night and stood beside it in awe. It was so very, very quiet. I think I'm in heaven!


Thanks again Home Warranty!!
Jennifers blog signature